Thursday, July 10, 2014

Miss Information is back from vacation.

Miss Information is back from a couple of weeks away from the library. It was nice. Her first day back she noticed that her tolerance for crying children is completely gone. On the second day, she struggled to get her act together in the teen area where there was less screaming...by children at least.

Miss Information was still easing into the day when she heard a woman nearby screaming and swearing.

"Stupid fucking bastard!" the woman shouted.

Miss Information glanced over to see a middle aged woman pounding the wall and screaming at...the automated return machine. Miss Information initially decided to ignore it and then she remembered that she was no longer on vacation.

She went over to the woman, who was now kicking the wall, banging the machine and shouting about not getting a receipt.

Miss Information asked if the woman was having trouble with the machine. (It was early. She hadn't finished her coffee yet.)

"I returned some things! And the fucking stupid machine didn't give me a reciept! Fucking bastard!"

Oh, well, then. That is something you should totally have a complete meltdown about. Remember the olden days when you threw stuff in a bookdrop and just hoped for the best? Ah, technology.

Miss Information pointed to the message clearly visible on the machine's display that said right up front that it was currently unable to print receipts. She assured the woman that staff inside the building would be happy to make sure that the items she'd returned were no longer on her account. Amazingly, the woman went away relatively cheerfully. 


Maybe she'd used up all her anger kicking the wall.




2 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get a receipt now? Goodness, I almost didn't graduate university because the noble institution was convinced that I had books still out, although I had returned them well before the deadline. When, in desperation, I offered to pay for them just so I could, you know, take advantage of the degree I'd worked years for, I was told, "We know you have books out. We just aren't sure what they are, so we can't say what the cost would be."

It took me two months until I finally hit a worker who opened a file, hit a button, and said, "Congratulations, you've just graduated!"

Receipts would be SOOOO nice.

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get a receipt now? Goodness, I almost didn't graduate university because the noble institution was convinced that I had books still out, although I had returned them well before the deadline. When, in desperation, I offered to pay for them just so I could, you know, take advantage of the degree I'd worked years for, I was told, "We know you have books out. We just aren't sure what they are, so we can't say what the cost would be."

It took me two months until I finally hit a worker who opened a file, hit a button, and said, "Congratulations, you've just graduated!"

Receipts would be SOOOO nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home